FACE TO FACE: INTRODUCTION TO STRUCTURED LITERACY (SL) - 2 Weeks Workshop
Mary will be using the DcodeDyslexia Reading Programme, which she created and published in 2021.
Participants who complete this course will be able to
- Explain why it is so important to teach a child to read through SL and describe how the young brain reads.
- Teach individuals and small groups how to put two and three sounds together to make a word.
- Teach individuals and small groups to encode/ spell through structure, adhering to spelling rules.
- Teach individuals and small groups to blend initial sounds and final sounds to make words.
- Teach individuals and small groups the use of digraphs: /ch/; /sh/; /th/; /wh/.
- Teach individuals and small groups the Long Vowels(LV), by colour coding of the LV families.
- Teach individuals and small groups about syllable division.
Mary Moran has been working closely with struggling readers for almost four decades. She was trained in Orton Gillingham in the eighties and has been teaching both privately and on contract in schools since, using structured literacy. She has developed her own unique structured literacy programme, i.e., the Dcode programme, which employs the approaches and methods she has been using successfully in her private practice as a dyslexia tutor.
|Course Date||25-01-2024 4:30 pm|
|Course End Date||01-02-2024 6:30 pm|
|Cut off date||24-01-2024|
|Location||Waterford Education Support Centre Eircode X91 XD98|